How Termites in Texas are A Big Problem - and What to Do About It Right Now
The dream house you have was worth saving for and you shouldn’t let termites cause damage to your house. Termites in Texas are increasing in numbers. According to Safe Pro Pest Control, Texas has the highest concentration of termites in the country. It’s either you got termites in your house or you don’t. But the thing is, with the humidity and moisture Texas has, your house is at risk for termite infestation. You’re bound to have problems with termites eventually especially if your house is 5 years old and older.
Table of Content
Click on a section to jump to it!
Part 1 – Common Termites in Texas & What Do Termites Look Like
Part 2 – How to know if there’s Termite Infestation
Part 3 – What Damages Termites Bring
Part 4 – When to Call for Home Inspection
Part 5 – Why Get a Safe Pro Inspection
Part 6 – What to Expect From the Termite Inspection
Part 7 – Safe Pro Pest Control Services Maintenance Plans
Part 8 – Resolving Termites Problems
Part 9 – Why Safe Pro Pest Control Services is Your Best Option
Call 214-773-9548 or fill in your details below to schedule your free inspection now.
Common Termites in Texas & What Do Termites Look Like
A. Termites with Wings
Swarmers, swarm castles, flying termites, alates, or swarm termites are winged termites that reproduce and create new colonies. Usually, they appear mid-March to June. Don’t get them confused with flying ants though. Swarmers have straight antennas that look like it’s made of beads. It’s got a broad waist and has two sets of wings with equal lengths.
B. Subterranean Termites
Subterranean termites are the most common termites in Northern Texas. Their colonies live underground amounting to as much as two million in numbers. They are the ones that build tunnels or “mud tubes” so they can reach sources of food and give themselves protection from open air. Subterranean termites survive in mud, sand, and also in moist areas above ground. They usually swarm during spring where groups of reproductive termites head off to make new colonies. Needless to say, they are also the most destructive type of termites. Their hard-saw-toothed jaws work like scissors, biting off wood one piece at a time. They are completely capable of collapsing a home or building overtime.
C. Drywood Termites
Drywood termites could survive in undecayed wood with little moisture content. They do not need soil to survive so; these termites can potentially damage your wooden furniture. A female and male Drywood termite pair up and choose a wood they want to nest in. They come in different sizes. The soldiers are about 3/8 inches long while the reproductive ones are half an inch long. They organize themselves in a caste system. Once the queen finds a good place for her colony, she finds a king then start to lays eggs. Once the eggs hatch, they join the workers in eating wood and care for the rest of the colony.
How to know if there’s Termite Infestation
You’ll know when you have termites when there are small flying insects. Those are the swarmers and they fly near your windows, leaving behind their discarded wings. However, there are also common signs that would make you think there are termites in your home.
- Flooring is damaged. They may have blisters and some affected flooring are sagging.
- Unexplained cracks in your walls.
- Ceiling beams and cornices have cracks.
- Foundation damage may occur even if you’re using concrete. Termites in Texas do not eat concrete but they can get in to any cracks and floor joists that are made of wood.
- Windows and doors are hard to open as if their frames are irregularly shaped.
- Branches of the trees in your backyard have fallen off.
- Roof tiles are broken, exposing them to moisture and termites.
- Frass or termite droppings are in your property.
- There are mud tubs on the exteriors of your wall.
- Wood sounds hollow when you tap or knock on them.
Termite infestation eating through wood.
What Damages Termites Bring
You should be concerned with the kind of damage termites in Texas bring to your home. If there are termites, it’s an indication that you also have moisture issue. Termites survive by eating wood but they also feast on anything with cellulose such as paper, leather, foam, insulation and even window frames.
Termites in Texas can do some damage to your 2 by 4s and wood siding by eating both the inside and outside of them. Most of the timber is eaten away so your property is left with a thin veneer of wood or paint. Your roofing and ceiling is also exposed to more damage like the insulation, carpet and foundation wet.
The damage can cost you hundreds of dollars. You’re looking at least $400-$600 for the quick fixes on your entire hardwood floor. But that’s not it, you might have to do a major renovation especially if your entire kitchen floor is opened up.
When to Call for Home Inspection
It is necessary for you to have a home inspection. You need to call one for:
- Annual termite inspection.
You could do a yearly home inspection for early detection of termite infestation. Termites in Texas are everywhere and if your neighbourhood is experiencing such problem, you’re most likely to experience it to even if your house is less than 5 years old. Visual inspection without any paperwork is free as a courtesy much that Safe Pro Pest Control would be happy to do.
- Legal document for a real estate deal.
It is vital for a seller to disclose information as to when the house inspection took place and the necessary actions taken. The seller will receive a document indicating the company, technician that did the treatment, product used, and whether or not it was a partial or full treatment.
- An inspection of a crawl space that needs one to put a suit on. Visual inspection on a crawl space doesn’t require any payment. You can have someone inspect the inside of the crawl space with a suit. Once there are termites found, the inspection is charged to the cost towards the treatment.
Why Get a Safe Pro Inspection
An inspection from Safe Pro Pest Control will help you detect termite problems so you can get yourself protected from disasters and damages. Doing an inspection examines your home if termites have shown up and reduces the period of time that they can do more damage. Plus, we are the only ones that regularly inspect a property.
If you avail the pest maintenance plan, your property gets checked by the Safe Pro Pest Services team every 3 months. This regular maintenance allows you to find termites and other pests before facing more issues.
We have different maintenance plans available to meet your needs, contact us for details.
What to Expect From the Termite Inspection
- Safe Pro Pest Control Services inspects both the inside and outside of your home. We inspect your home’s foundation and even up to the roof line on the outside.
- We check for mud tubs or high soil in your home’s foundation. Termites in Texas are like chameleons. They are very good in grabbing the dirt which will fool you into thinking that they’re part of the foundation.
- “To see is to believe”. That is why; we prefer to do the procedure with our clients around. That way, they can see for themselves the termites and how much damage they have caused to the property.
- Wood pile near the house is moved and checked if there are termites.
- Siding and window frames are checked for any signs of damage and bubbling.
- Indoor inspection is the most meticulous part of the process as you will need to train your eyes to look at even a tiny speck.
- Flashlights help detect imperfection in your home. These are not the paint job imperfections but the imperfections brought about by the pinholes termites have made. You can easily find them in frames of the windows, window seals and move blinders.
- Water line, especially those above the shower water line, are also inspected as there can be pinholes in those areas too.
- Furniture is also checked without having them moved from one place to the other.
- A custom-made tub will also be inspected especially if the front panel can be pulled off. Sinks and other water access areas are also checked.
- The process isn’t 100% termite-proof. Hence, we suggest that you take a preventive plan so you won’t have any termites in your home.
Safe Pro Pest Control Services Maintenance Plans
Spot or Partial Treatment
A spot treatment is the kind of treatment wherein 1 part of the house is being treated. There’s a risk if you choose this kind of treatment. There’s no guarantee that only a single colony is infesting your home. The good thing is that this maintenance plan gives you a 30-day warranty.
A full treatment guarantees you one-year warranty from the date of the treatment. You can renew the warranty every year for only $125 + tax (current rate). The rate covers the cost of additional inspection yearly and is fully transferable if you decide to sell the house.
We recommend this to home owners as it protects your investment in your property.
General Pest Control
This maintenance doesn’t include termites. What the team does is that they do visual inspection of your home every 3 months for general pest control.
During the general pest control inspection our team will be on the lookout for signs of termites.
Resolving Termites Problems
Problems with termites in Texas may be resolved within 3-6 months’ time. We treat your house by injecting our product. We do an inspection shortly to check if the colony hasn’t been rebuilt. True enough, our treatment can protect your house with the barrier protection and it can wipe away the colony within 3-4 months. If the damage is in the wall, we inject our product through the slab.
We want the termites to bring our product to their queen as to kill the colony as well. If the termite dies before the queen due to the use of an instant kill product, this will only act as a temporary band-aid on the problem.
Why Safe Pro Pest Control Services is Your Best Option
Our employees are our teammates.
We also work as a team, making sure that there are 2 guys working on the full treatment for your home. We don’t allow subcontractors to do the job for us. Our workers are our employees so they know the kind of termites they are dealing with.
- A full-time, licensed professional technician that is also fully insured, bonded, and has workman’s’ compensation provided.
a. Why is all this important to you? Workman’s compensation is important because if in the event that a technician is injured at your property, workers without workman’s compensation can actually sue YOU, the customer! We provide a risk-free experience for customers by insuring, bonding, and providing workman’s comp for all our staff and technicians.
b. If there is a theft claim there is protection and insurance.
c. We also perform background checks and drug screens on all technicians. This industry is full of unsafe people that end up in your home. Safe Pro Pest Control ensures that only quality, pre-screened staff members join our team.
d. While many companies use subcontractors, increasing the likelihood of inviting non-screened, unlicensed, non-bonded, and uninsured technicians into your home, Safe Pro Pest Control has our own, in-house full-time employees that we’ve trained to be industry leading extermination professionals.
- Expert and White-Glove Service provided!
a. Our technicians wear shoe covers in your home at all times, to prevent tracking in germs from previous visits into your home.
b. Our technician will ask a few questions then perform a complete, top-to-bottom inspection of your home or commercial property.
c. Inspection includes all attics, as some houses have several attics. You get a complete inspection of the exterior of your property and roof. We go on 9 out of 10 roofs. Note: We only avoid going on roofs that are not safe.
d. Most companies don’t do free inspections that include going on the roof
- Your Safe Pro Pest Control Inspection usually lasts a full hour while most companies do a short and half-hearted 10-minute inspection. That’s why our inspection is valued at $180 per hour, but it’s yours for zero cost or obligation!
- When the inspection is done we share a complete analysis with you, on the spot, of the termite, rat, pest, and/or insect problem(s) you may have, the plan for extermination, repair of damage done to your property and the prevention measures that must be taken to keep pests away for good.
The use of Termidor.
Termites in Texas can easily be dealt with if you choose Safe Pro Pest Control Services as our solution is quite unique and sets above the rest. We have a tank solely for Termidor so the product won’t reduce its efficiency. We also do not sell base stations. Let’s just say we won’t settle for less when it comes to products we use for our clients. Termidor is the guaranteed solution to termites even if it is more costly compared to base stations.
Customer service is superb.
If we are to dig a trench, we make it a point to dig for about 2-3 inches of trench. We don’t want to hit anything below the ground such as wires and sprinklers. We also take pride of our customer service because we make sure your property isn’t damaged, corners weren’t cut or restore the way your property looks like before the treatment. We make it a point to put back where the plants & furniture belong. We are careful in making sure that flowers and bushes are not stepped on or damaged. We also make use of shoe covers when necessary.
Rather than have us tell you about how great we are, listen to the 400+ 5 star reviews from customers of our Frisco location and 200+ 5 star reviews in Plano.
Reasonably priced and value for your money services.
Cost of termite treatment in Texas varies. But in our company, the pricing across the board is the same and costs $6 per linear foot. Don’t let the fear of getting overcharged get in the way of you hiring our services. There’s just minimal adjustment if more complicated drilling is necessary or if there’s a small anomaly noted. Even in those rare cases there is never a surprise as we’ll provide you with a quote prior to doing the work and inspection.
Since termites in Texas are a big problem, we wouldn’t want you to wait for a week or 2 before deciding to get our services. It’s best to call us a day or two after sleeping on it because it may be a day too late. There might be termites coming into your home more than expected. Our company has catered thousands of clients and we always do the work required, at no extra charge, to complete the work and ensure the pests are fully eradicated. We could provide our services in the Dallas Texas, Collin and Denton counties for all your Texas rat, termite, and other pest extermination needs.
Call 214-773-9548 or click the button below to schedule your free inspection now.