It’s no secret that pest control professionals use their own industry terms and slang. No matter what the profession, it always will come with its own vernacular. The vocabulary of any profession creeps into everyday speech, often confusing clients and customers. Pest control services are no different. It can be frustrating when a pest control professional is talking to you, and you have no idea what he or she is saying. However, it’s important to understand causes, prevention and treatment of pests to keep your home and family safe. The warm weather of the summer months often brings with it unwanted pests. Here are 18 common pest control phrases defined for when you call in the professionals.
- Action Threshold: Determining that the pest situation is out of hand for preventative measures to be taken and immediate action is necessary.
- Application: The applying of a particular pesticide or preventative measure.
- Bait Stations: Houses bait for pests, typically placed in areas pests like to use for shelter.
- Commensal: Describes the behavior of rodents. They get benefits of living amongst humans, but aren’t trying to cause harm, nor do humans receive benefits from their presence.
- Contaminant: A harmful substance in an area it is not supposed to be.
- Exclusion: Preventative techniques used to keep insects, rodents, birds, etc. from entering a building.
- Granules/Pellets: A dry, low concentrate pesticide that is ready to use. The particles are slightly larger than dust.
- Harborage: An area where insects and pests use as shelter. Generally, they are just areas of clutter, such as cardboard.
- Insect Growth Regulators (IGR): Products that disrupt and inhibit the growth of insects.
- Parasite: Requires a host to live and in turn does harm to the host.
- Pesticide: A wide range of products used to control or kill pests.
- Insecticide: Pesticide used for insects.
- Residual: Pesticide that lasts for hours or even longer after application
- Non-residual: Pesticide that does not kill after initial application. A non-residual pesticide is primarily used to flush out pests in an area.
- Single-dose: Will cause death after one dose.
- Multiple feeding: Causes death after several lesser doses over a few days. Effective against ants.
- Desiccant: Dries up moisture and liquid insects need to survive.
- Nonselective: used to control a large range of pests.
The next time you have a pest control service in Frisco, TX working at your house, you’ll be able to identify the essential phrases they will use. Start getting your home ready for the summer and fall insect hordes by contacting Safe Pro Pest at (972) 435-0700 or visit them online at https://safepropest.com/.
Pest Control Frisco TX
Safe Pro Pest Control
122 Rose Lane, Suite #203
Frisco, Texas 75036